Wearable technology is a new and exciting area to explore for fashion designers. Light-up dresses make a great impact on the catwalk and are now worn by celebrities such as Claire Danes on the red carpet, as designed by Zac Posen. If you want to have a go making your own LED light-up dress, check out my tutorial below.
To Sew a LED Circuit onto Fabric you will need:
How to Sew your LED Circuit onto Fabric
- Draw a square on your fabric.
- Place the LED board and coin battery retainer at opposite sides.
- Join the two using the conductive thread with a running stitch.
- Make sure the battery retainer is joined one side at the – sign, the other side +.
- Place your battery in the coin retainer and the light will come on.
- Use a press stud to create a on and off switch, leave a gap between the two studs.
Here is a handy video showing you how to sew your LED board circuit onto fabric.
Check out Kitronik for more information on making e-textiles, they have many great videos such as the one above and have a well stocked shop for all your supplies. To learn more about making “Wearable Technology” check out the rest of my blog post as part the “Fashion Courses & Short On-line Tutorials” series.